The DWARF Version 4 Debugging Format Standard
is based on the DWARF Version 3 Standard. It is, with only limited exceptions,
an upward compatible extension to the previous standard.
The major enhancements in DWARF Version 4 are
The DWARF Version 4 Standard will be open for
public review and comment until May 31. A finalized version will be
released after a review of these comments.
- Add new data compression technique for types
- Add support for new C++ language constructs, including template parameters
- Improve support for VLIW architectures
- Generalize support for packed data structures
- Improve ability to describe optimized code
- Improve support for Fortran, Ada, and other languages
- Improve support for profile-based optimizations
- Improve descriptions of a number of DWARF constructs
To see past comments or to submit a comment, click on Issues at the
top of the page.